Sissy Bumps

Sissy Bumps

Monday, June 23, 2014

Monday Must-Haves: What’s in My Babymoon Bag?

It's the 48 hour countdown til my hubby & I jet set to our island escape! What started out as a 30th birthday trip for him also became a babymoon for the two of us when we learned we had a bun in the oven. No complaints here! Give this pregnant lady a lounge chair, a virgin pina colada, and a beach and I am a happy camper! 

As we begin packing, I've realized that some of my essentials have changed now that I am pregnant. What's usually a quick trip to Target to buy any sunscreen on the shelf, a few bikinis, and a trashy celebrity magazine, is now a trip to my nearest baby store to buy the "safe" sunscreen, to my pharmacy to stock my prenatal vitamins, and to the beauty store to buy paraben & sulfate free hair care products. 

If you are a  first-time momma-to-be (read: paranoid) like me and need some packing tips for a getaway, here are my must-haves! I'm new to this whole momma world so these are my personal needs but every momma is different! Bring what’s best for you (& baby). 


BPA-Free reusable water bottle: It's more important than ever to stay hydrated while you're pregnant, especially during a day in the sun. And why not avoid BPA toxins while you're at it! 

Traditional Medicinals Organic Pregnancy Tea: My sissy bought this for me since she knows I am an avid tea drinker (gone are the days of 5 cups of regular hot tea/day). Now, I admit that I am paranoid of just about everything, so I still steer clear of even decaf teas or coffees most of the time since they still have some caffeine in them. Many doctors recommend no more than 200mg of caffeine a day . From time to time, if I am feeling extra sluggish I will make myself a cup of this Pregnancy Tea for a little boost. 

Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla sulfate-free shampoo: This shampoo is made for my hair type and is free of sulfate, parabens, petroleum, and artificial colors.  Yes, I am one of those pregnant women who also switched most of my personal care products to more natural options. Since I know these products get absorbed through my skin and some chemicals can penetrate the baby, I decided to make some healthier choices. However, I know many women still use their same pre-pregnancy items and have perfectly healthy babies. Do what makes you feel comfortable! Being a momma or momma-to-be is hard enough sometimes with all of the “rules”. 

The Honest Co. Organic Body Oil: I'm a big fan of Honest Co. and I am obsessed with this product!! I will use this post-pregnancy as well. I use it after I hop out of the shower all over my body and feel so silky smooth. And it smells pretty yummy, too! 

The Honest Co. Honest Sunscreen SPF 30: I chose this sunscreen because it is free of PABA, parabens, phthalates, fragrances, petrochemicals, dyes and synthetic chemical sunscreens. Sunscreen is important whether you are pregnant or not, but when you're knocked up your skin is hyper-sensitive leaving you more susceptible to burns. So lather up! Plus, although pregnancy mask is caused more by hormones than sun, those pesky UV rays can be a factor (according to my Certified Nurse Midwife). 

Nature's Made Vitamin E: No, I don't pop these and swallow them whole. Vitamin E is already present in my pre-natal vitamins. However, I have been applying vitamin E directly from the capsule to scars on my skin for years. I made sure to check with my midwife before using this to avoid increased toxicity levels, but since I only use one pill a day on a small area of my body, she has approved (Thank God!). I am currently using this on an annoying little scar left from a heat rash. And it's almost gone! 

Coconut Oil: This is my sissy's favorite pregnancy product of the week, and it is quickly becoming one of mine too. I slather this on before bed to keep my skin silky smooth and I love how soft it is keeping me. (Bonus: Hubby loves it, too!)

Prenatal Vitamins: This is a no-brainer for me. I take mine nightly to avoid any nausea that may come with taking them in the morning. 

Bikini: Now, I am only 16 (almost 17) weeks pregnant so I am fully embracing the bump that I have! I love how my body is changing and I think it is absolutely incredible that it can transform to carry and provide for another human being. So I have no shame in running around in a bikini with my growing bump! Maybe I will feel differently at week 36, but for now, I am going to enjoy it while I can.

Beach Cover Up:I will live in cover-ups for the 10 days we are away. I've learned that packing anything more than cover-ups and a very select few dinner outfits is all I need for a vaca. Especially since we won’t be participating in any overly adventurous excursions while we are away. 

Floppy Hat: Another sun-blocker that is also just fun to wear! My hair does all sorts of crazy things while I am on vaca and this hat will keep me looking somewhat done without actually doing anything. 

Flat slip on sandals: No heels for this girl! These will be my go-to every single day. And if my feet start to swell, at least I will still be comfy.

Sunglasses:  Blocking those rays one cute pair of sunnies at a time! 

Pregnancy Journal: Another awesome gift from my sissy! I am writing letters to my sweet little bean, and this is the journal I am using. I want to have something to hand to my son/daughter one day that explains just how much I loved them even before I met them, and through all of their milestones once they arrived. 

Camera: Photographs are my favorite things in the world. If I could be a photographer and scrapbook every single day of my life, I would. And with my new bean I will probably play photographer and do just that! 

Pirate's Booty Popcorn:  A healthy snack to keep my hunger pains at bay throughout the day. My appetite is just starting to increase so I am snacking and eating smaller meals more frequently. 

The Baby Name Wizard-Book: It’s quite possible that this book will end up in the ocean by the end of the trip. My husband is already over my constant, “What do you think of Tallulah? No? Ok, Charlotte? Well, how about Beau for a boy? No? Well, what do you like!?!” So I can only imagine a book with what seems like a thousand pages of names may cause him to throw the book or me in the deep end.

What to Expect When You're Expecting-Book: I know many expectant momma's don’t love this book. And then there are those who do. I am one of the ones who appreciate all of the good/scary bits of knowledge it provides me with. There are so many things I didn't know and still don’t know so I will be spending my lazy days on the beach finding out exactly what happens after you give birth (I hear it’s not so pretty).


A Man's Guide to Having a Baby-Book: I won’t be the only one on this team learning the ins & outs of parenting and pregnancy. My best friend bought this book for my hubby (thank you, A.D! He loves it!!). He actually is excited to read it and learn about everything. I get such a kick out of the absolute joy and shock he gets from every doctor’s visit. He soaks in everything he hears and thinks it’s all insanely fascinating. And I adore him for that. 

So tell me momma's, am I missing anything from this essentials list? 

Xo Krista 


No comments:

Post a Comment