Sissy Bumps

Sissy Bumps

Sunday, June 29, 2014

School's Out! Now what do I do with these little humans?



Ok mommas, summer is officially here. Which means school is out and the kiddies are home....all day.... everyday. It may sound overwhelming, scary, and expensive, but it doesn't have to be! My goal this summer is to not spend money like crazy. I want my kids to learn that fun can be had at home, outside, and anywhere! When I was younger Krista and I spent pretty much most of our childhood outside and we wouldn't change it for the world! We explored the woods, bugs, snakes, salamanders, berries, sticks, rocks- you name it, we found it! We rode our bikes until the chains broke, took hikes, and get this- played pretend (I know, I know...where did those days go?).  And we just about always made it home before the street lights turned on! We had the time of our lives! I've always wanted the same types of adventures for my own kids. So summer in the Hayes' house is less time with electronics and more time enjoying the world we are so blessed to live in. 

Here are some ideas to make summer break fun for everyone:

1. SUMMER FUN LIST


Every June my kids and I make a list of tons of things we'd like to do during the summer. It can be a list from free things like going to the park to things that may cost money like going to an amusement park.

2. FUN LIST JAR
On small pieces of paper write fun free things to do each day. Use this jar only when you have days of not knowing what to do or when your kids cry "I'm so bored!" (drives me crazy!)

3. MAKE READING FUN
Gather some great new books from your local library, create a tent using blankets and sheets, grab some fun small snacks, a flash light, some pillows and read away!

4. PARK TOUR


This summer, my kids and I plan to go to a different park each week. We are looking forward to exploring parks we have never been to before!

5. SCRAPBOOKS


I gave each of my kids their own sketchbook on their last day of school.  They can use these to draw anything that inspires them during times of exploring nature, going to the zoo, swimming at the beach, etc. It's like their own summer scrapbook. 

6. LOWES
Did you know that  Lowes offers  free building workshops for kids on Saturdays? They give your child an apron, goggles, and they can build a particular object of the week. One week they made their own race cars! So fun!


7. BAKING


Each week our plan is to bake something new. I love to get my kids involved in the entire process. I love to make it a learning experience as well. They get to READ the recipe, COUNT the ingredients, use MATH to check measurements, etc.

8. GIVE TO OTHERS
Since we will be baking we will also make fun treats for those we love. We will wrap them up in a cute box, hand create a card, and make special deliveries to family members or friends. We will also check out local charities to see how we can give back.


9. EMBRACE SUMMER NIGHTS
Oh how I love summer nights!! I love getting in our pjs after dinner and baths, grabbing our mason jars and  glow sticks and taking a long stroll through the neighborhood. We catch fireflies, talk, laugh, and just enjoy the night! We also love to grab a blanket lay on the grass and look at the night sky.

10. WHAT ARE THEY INTERESTED IN?


My middle son, Tatum, is extremely interested in all things science.  My plan this summer is to take him to a local hands on science museum so he can explore and learn and be creative in his element. From home I plan to create different science experiments for him to enjoy. My oldest son, Jalen, loves to draw (and is pretty good at it!). I made him his own book using a binder filled with clear, plastic inserts that he can put his drawings in to keep and treasure. My youngest, Leila, loves drama and dancing. Rather than pay for her to go to a camp all day to do these things my plan is to write a small play for her and a few of her girlfriends to act out during a fun playdate.

11. EMBRACE SUMMER!!



These days go by so fast and they will be back in school before you know it. Take each day as an opportunity to learn from your child and see the world through their eyes. The laundry, dishes, and messy kitchen floor can wait! Take more time to cuddle with your kiddies, read with them, and just have fun with them! It's your time to be a kid again.
In addition to those fun things, here are a few things on our Summer Fun List:
* beach days (and lots of them!)
* fishing!
* picnics at parks (I'm a sucker for a good picnic)
* friend days - each child invites a friend or 2 over to swim and play and mom grills some food!
* once a week go somewhere fun (ie. Funplex, Stratosphere, etc)

So what are you planning to do this summer?
XO Tierra

No comments:

Post a Comment